Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Afro, by Vee



To me
The Afro signifies power and strength.
With just a hint of militancy, it whispers to those who are listening, "I am free! And I am free to be me."

It's naturally regal edginess personifies the struggle of a people to first understand, then overcome and overstand.
But not only to overstand what's right in front of us and what should be apparent, but also the lessons of the ancestors...
the lessons of the past.
To overstand the oppression and the fight.
To overstand the self-doubt and self-hatred that has been buried deep within our subconscious minds.
To move ahead to self-acceptance and appreciation, and to self-love.

To me,
The Afro represents determination, perseverance, and the ability
To rise again and remember who we are,
and what we are.

To me,
The Afro is symbolic of a people digging up their rightful crowns and
hanging them where they belong.
Need I explain that one?
No, because I'm sure you know.
On some level, you already know.

So this week, I'm wearing a big Afro wig.
And even though I'm loving my short naps,
and absolutely was delighted with my bald head,
and will probably do the big chop once more before I let it grow much longer...
I look forward to the day when my Afro is as big and woolly as it is in my pictures.

The day when I
can pick up My crown
and wear It with honor, humility and grace.

February is Black History month, but I say let's celebrate it all year long!

Vee

(btw, this was challenge 6 in the Miss Nappturality Contest. I won this one;-)

No comments: